Saturday, July 6, 2013

First leg 2013

Independence Day! What a perfect day to head out for the opportunity to bless some beautiful kids, an amazing nation and on a personal journey so dear to my heart. 

Our family came over for a good ol' holiday cookout. Would not have wanted to spend such an important day with any less than my amazing family and dear friends. 

Then after some last minute stuffing  the last few ounces into our bags, and big hugs from everyone- we are off! 

I am not sure why this year I have struggled a little more or in a different way than I did last year, but I have, and I am hoping it is all irrational fears and silly worries that have been twisting me up. MR has had to talk me "down" a few times while tears where spewing and doubt was settling in, my folks have "nudged" me a little more than I wish they had to, and Lemon has reminded me that all I have wanted since the day I got home last year was to be back in Zambia. 

Maybe things have just been unsettled in general for me, maybe, as my MIL has pointed out, my fears and concerns are different than they were last year. I want everyday of my precious kids life to be as great as the days we spent together. Them being kids, having full bellies and surrounded by people who love them. I know it's not the case, and my heart breaks over and over everyday of the year we have been apart that maybe, someone is hungry, someone is in pain, someone lost a parent (or the other parent), somebody was abused, taken advantage of or exploited in some way. My heart breaks daily thinking about these boys and the environment they are living in. And Lord knows if you know me, you know I would bring each of them home and spoil them rotten! BUT, I also agree with Family Legacy, we are raising the future of Zambia, and if my boys are the smallest indication, the future if Zambia is lookin' good!!! I have this amazing Faith that God is working miracles in their lives, through you and I, for these precious lives, to be an amazing force to be reckoned with. We are showing these kids love, and love is what's going to change the mentality and culture of this great nation of beautiful people. 

So I am on the long leg of the trip from London to Zambia. We spent a few hours walking around London today, made our way on the "tube" and got a bite to eat before boarding for this leg. I was pretty sad that they didn't offer the traditional fair of chicken tikka masala for dinner, AND I gave them my "oversized" carry on with my snacks, so I am kind of hungry! Guess God's always teaching us lessons, showing us we are capable of more than we know (yes, that's the lesson I am seeing clear at this moment- I passed on African chicken mystery dinner and hunger is setting in). I also fell asleep as soon as we took off, woke up during one aisle too late to order said dinner and now, oddly, have the energy of a 6 year old on a playground, but with a grumbly belly... I am not a napper- this could be a really long night! 

We land at 6:30 a.m. I won't see the boys till Monday, we will be preparing everything for camp on Sat and Sunday. Hopefully these blogs post as easy this year as last. 

Keep a few prayers going for all of the Americans I am traveling with, the staff that is working so hard to facilitate all this and for the children that will have their lives changed this week from attending camp! 

Keep in touch!

1 comment: