Saturday, July 20, 2013

Final Friday

This is it- the week is over, camp has come to an end and once again, I didn't get enough pictures, or hugs or high fives or TIME, I just didn't have enough time! 

Fridays at camp are high energy, fast moving, rushed and so bitter sweet. 

We started the day with our last blessing time with Chola. We are probably the most connected out of the three family sponsored kids. He is so sensitive, but tries to be so tough. Blessing time was a lot of tears and conversation about wanting to come home with me. All very hard to handle for both of us. Let's be real here folks- I want him to come home with me as much as I want to stay there with him, but for whatever reason, we are separated by a big ocean. 

After a wrap on that emotional ride, I had to revisit Harrison's story and was called in by the Child Protective Unit of Zambia to evaluate his situation. Long story short, Harrison is a double orphan being raised by an aunt who has 5 children of her own. After spending an hour with CPU I have no idea what will happen with  Harrison, I will let you all know when I find out what they decided. 

Typically I would have been passing out the blessings they received (t shirt, bandana, sweets, blanket) but somehow that had been done for me since I was with Harrison. We hurried to get a few group snaps and it was a wrap. 

This year went a little different than last. Rodrick would not put on his shirt or accept his blessings bc he was adamant that he was not going home. Chola was pouting and wouldn't smile. My oldest boys were being cry babies while the younger ones were having a ball and enjoying our time. It was, to say the least, a struggle! I was frustrated, I couldn't figure out how to be compassionate to the sad ones and playful with the happy ones. By the end, we were all a big hot mess! Rodrick was leaning on a tree in protest, Chola wouldn't leave my side, Lil' Richard was bawling his eyes out so I scooped him up and carried him as far as I could. Steven had become defensive, Kennedy and Issac were cool as a cucumber. Silas is a comedian and was making fun of everyone's dramatics. Big Richard was becoming clingy and trying to scoot Chola out of the way (which was creating a problem btwn the two of them), Harrison was flopping btwn super happy and mocking the criers, and Haggai was still just being his quiet sweet self. 

I was trying to keep it together and managed to do okay until everyone was on the bus. Saying goodbye was a little easier knowing I would be in Chaisa the next day and would see most of them. They were all crying on the bus, I am running in circles around the bus trying to make sure my shorties had all boarded. I can only walk away from this day with minimal tears because I know I will see them tomorrow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment