Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wacky Wednesday!

Have I mentioned I have a broken heart? 
Today I found out that two of my boys from last year are not going to school, this explains why they are not at camp! Robert's mother did not want him to attend Lifeway, I don't know why, but I am trying to get some info. Rabbi, who I worry about so much, stopped going because, as the note reads "uninterested" I am assuming he is working or helping at home and his caretaker thinks he is more of an asset now uneducated than at school and educated to obtain a decent job in the future. I am trying to get the community contact to help me figure it all out, but they move at a different pace in Zambia so I have to wait. 

One of the hardest conversations I have ever had via text, was tellin these boys sponsors they are not in the program! Trying to explain to the sponsor that the child they have grown to love and care about, were not allowed to attend school, and not getting a healthy warm lunch everyday! Zambians are just not totally hip to education, for generations they have not been formally educated and have not been able to see the rewards an education provides. Luckily the sponsors of these children have big hearts and lots of love and have agreed to shift the sponsorship to one of my orphans that were added to my group this year. I will not give up on Robert and Rabbi, I am going to get them into our school, no matter how long it takes- I will not give up on them!

Camp was fun today. It was fast and exhausting and awkward! MR an I sponsor two of the kids in my group- I have been having a rough time with Chola, he has been super sad all week and I haven't been able to figure out why. He only has one flip flop, which probably is the least of his concerns, but it is bothering me! I literally sized up his feet today and found an American man at camp who has a foot close to what I think Chola's is, I have offered to buy his used tennis shoes on Friday night to give to Chola on Saturday morning when I deliver his food drop. A child should not be running around these slums with just one flippy! 

I had a blessing time with Harrison today who told me the saddest story I have had yet. I will post details on each child in a few days. It's a tear jerker- well actually it just pulls your tears out and washes your face in em... Trust me- it's happened to me! 

These boys love to color- hopefully these pics will post for you all! 


It is 11:00 and 6:00 am is creeping up, so I am going to sleep. I promise to blog details soon, I am just totally spent after these days. 

Keep in touch

1 comment: