Thursday, June 14, 2012

Wednesday Camp Life!

Hello from Africa!

Today was awesome! It hit me this afternoon that it all clicked! The boys came running to me this morning, so excited to be at camp! We started the day showing a group of girls how to use the evangicube, they each gave a presentation and did a fantastic job! Kennedy was too cool for school, he must have practiced last night, b/c he had added hand gestures to the presentation, he says he wants to be a driver when he grows up, but honestly, I think he could be an inspirational speaker!
So you will understand the next part of my day, let me explain some of what I have been doing with the boys. Each day I have been taking one child aside (with a translator) and asking them questions, everything from who do you live with, do witches come for you at night, and if your parent is dead... why- so to say the least; I have had to develop a pretty good amount of trust for them to open up! Some of my boys have opened up and cried, some don't have anything to say and others are still working in trusting me. During this time, I ask each child if they have accepted Jesus in their heart and if they understand what that means. So far, the ones that did not believe, have accepted and the others were already believers.
SO... Today my task was to give my own testimony to the boys, I struggled with what I would share. Looking at these boys, I have it all and a lot more! I had a hard time finding something that they would understand or could relate to. It was me, my two Zambian partners and 6 beautiful boys, they listened and then prayed for me. It was SO sweet! A couple were in tears, which made me cry, what an awful way to realize these little boys had fallen in love with me too!

Next we were off to a big group session where we sing and dance and watch a skit and listen to the morning lesson. They love the songs and dance! They have learned not to watch me for direction, I just move to the beat of my own music, which they find very amusing! The skits are always a quick play on the lesson that was just taught- the wiggle worms that were, turn into the most attentive, engrossed well behaved children EVER! They speak Nyanja, so the kids understand every word, and they thrive on the theatrics if it all!

Oh- quick side note, there are large video screens in the center that we are in, on Monday, when the kids saw the screens showing what they we're seeing in real life, they all gasped the loudest gasp I have ever heard! Literally, for most of them they had just experienced their first bus ride, seen white people AND screen, much less a HUGE screen. Their innocents of some things is so cute, however, the exposure they have had to other things is just heart breaking!

Okay, on with the day...
After we wrap with the big group, we go back to our small groups to discuss what we just learned and make sure everyone understands the lessons. We are learning about The Armor of God. My boys have it! They get it, so we talk about how to use it in their lives. It is amazing what they will say and what they deal with on a day to day basis- it isn't pretty, it is scary, and quite honestly, I want to cry each time they tell me about another challenge they face each day.

It's lunch time and we have paired up the small groups to have the boys serve the girls lunch. This is NEVER done in Zambia, the culture is very male dominated and women and kids hold no real importance or usefulness for men, unless they are gaining something from them or taking advantage if them. My boys were gentlemen, and shockingly, they didn't good around! I was a proud Auntie Aimee!!! That is what they call me! We ate our lunch, for the boys it is 4 slices of bread and a "protein" drink. I have a pb&j with water. Zambian culture is a little different for meals, there is NO talking! WHAT? They just eat! I fin it very strange, an I can't help but break the rule everyday!
After we eat (semi silently) it is time for the finger painting project. I will blog about this when I get home- it is adorable!
We have about ten minutes to play then back to big group, then small group, then apple time, then line up to head home.
It was a great day! My boys are smart!
They have all asked me to pray that they will be able to be in school every day. I will pray, i will also be seeking out sponsors to send them to school! UI can't help but randomly take each one and give them a big hug! THEY hug back, THEY seek me out to hug!
Okay folks, I am going to bed, tomorrow we are in the community with the kids. That blog should be pretty good, however, I may need to split it up for time sake. I have to get some rest for my last two days of camp! I am in love with Zambia!!! Keep in touch. Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment