Friday, June 22, 2012

My boys (2 of 6): Taurai

Can you say stinker??? Then you know Mr. Taurai (T-ow ((like ouch))-rye). This child is HILARIOUS! He is a jokster, and on day one I realized he was a 65 year old man stuck in an eleven year old body! Is stood second in line, probably a head taller than Kennedy.  Taurai, I had to keep my eye on this one! AND I am thankful I did! He gave me a lot of laughs. Check out his little face, how could you not just fall in love with that? His expressions were never ending. The funniest/cutest/most adorable thing about this little firecracker was his laugh. His laugh came straight from his belly! He laughed like a little old man, he would knee slap, lean back, and EVEN add a little finger point and wink. WHERE did he learn this??? OH, and HELLO ladies! This little guy flirts! He was flirting with Trish's group of girls, when we served them lunch, he was first in line and handed out most of the lunches.

Here is what I learned: This handsome little fellow says he is 11 years old, and (this is a shock) he knew his birthday (now if it is right or not, who knows, but he had a date) August 17, 2011. As I said, he is only a head taller than Kennedy who I believe is 7, Taurai looks about 9, but who am I to argue! :) He lives in Chaisa with the other boys in my group, but did not know anyone in the group until camp.

Taurai's father died in 2007, he lives with his mother, grandmother and two brothers (one older, one younger). His mother does not work, however, his grandmother does, as a servant.

Much like the other boys, Taurai sleeps on the cold, hard floor with his siblings every night. He eats (only) twice a day: although this is good news, it is still sad.  He was always hungry at lunch. I let him try my peanut butter and honey sandwich one day, and he seemed to enjoy the sugar (just as you would hope any child would).

Afraid of I asked, "at night he is afraid of the thieves, they came into his home last year and stole from he and his family, and  the witches that live close by who come at night and try to hurt him". Luckily, his mother settles his fears by reassuring him that since he has a strong relationship with God, the witches will not hurt him.

He and his family attend the Roman Catholic Church. I am going to do a little research here, I heard that maybe their Roman Catholic was not like ours, but from what I gathered from him, he feels safe and he understood most of the lessons from camp and said he had heard them at church as well.

I asked him if he feels loved and by who, he said his mother and the rest of his family.  This is BIG news, HE feels LOVED, not all of the children in Zambia have this comfort.

Taurai wants to attend school, but his family does not have the funds. His favorite subject is English and he says he wants to be a Doctor one day (because he wants to help people).

This kid is BOLD when he asks questions, but very meek when he is asked. He likes to be the center of attention, but he is kind of clumsy and doesn't always "stick" his attention getter, does he get discouraged, NO WAY, you are looking at him and he just gained another few minutes to show you what he can (or can't) do! Think, jump roap, kartwheel, stuff like that. OH and giggle... he giggles a lot!! 
Taurai needs a sponsor! With only one person working in the house and 5 mouths to feed and shelter, it is impossible for his grandmother to make enough money to send him to school. Feel free to contact me if you are interested, I would love to tell you all about him and the program!

Prayers he requested:
Pray for him to attend school
Pray for him to stop sleeping on the floor...


No comments:

Post a Comment