Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My boys, 2014

Camp flew by this year, honestly, I don't feel like I spent 10 minutes alone with each of my boys. I got very sick the day before camp started and couldn't seem to get my act together after I missed a few days.

This year was a much different experience than years past. I am still trying to make sense of it all, if I get it figured out, I will let you know!

The group this year was, for the most part, all kiddos I have had in years past. I got one new cutie, Moses, who was a first timer at camp and such a hoot to have in the front of the line.

By amazing folks with big hearts, Moses already has a sponsor and will be attending  our Lifeway Christian Academy in January.

The other boys were my alumni group.  The boys line up in height order, so that is how I will update them here.

Kennedy, one of MR and I's sponsor kids got bumped to second in line, he was finally a little taller than one other kid! He has only missed one day of school in the last year. I was really thinking we would be having complex English conversations, but he just isn't quite there yet! I couldn't quite tell if he was not able to respond in English or if he is just still so shy and quiet.  I know he is thriving, I know he is doing well, and I can't ask for much more.

Robert was back this year! It was such a blessing to see him doing so well. His family had declined his participation in our school program two years ago. Last summer, I dropped by his house to tell them that at any point they needed our sponsorship, I would make sure he got into the program. Unfortunately, due to cancer, his grandmother (caretaker) passed away in the last year. Luckily, she had the foresight to make sure he was enrolled in our program last January and is thriving in our school. He is so sweet and helpful, he wanted to carry my backpack each day. Every morning and each day before boarding the bus, I got big hugs from sweet Robert. He has always been a sincere, compassionate child. I think he will do so well and be a huge success going forward.

Haggai was in for round two this year! Still very quiet and shy, but a little more confident than last year. He still lives with his siblings and Grandfather. Comparing the photos from last year to this year, you can tell the nutritious lunches and love have made quite a difference in this young mans life. Last year there was minimal eye contact, this year, he looked at me and answered questions when asked.

Elias was new to me this year, although he is already sponsored and attending our school. Unfortunatly, I didn't get to spend much time with him and getting to know him bc I was out so much dealing with my illness. When I was around, he spent most of the time running and playing, he was hard to sit downs, there was too much fun to be had!

Richard was new this year as well, again, I feel awful for not being able to learn more about him, I was just so out of the loop and the time was so limited. Richard has been sponsored for quite a while, he has been attending our school and from the little time I spent with him, I felt confident that he was doing well and his home situation was good.

Steven, our second year together, still says he wants to be a Pastor, and speaks the most English of all in the group. He lives with his Dad. His best friend lives in our Tree of Life program, and unfortunately for our time together, he spends a lot of time asking to move in the Tree of Life. We had to have a conversation about how his life situation does not warrant being taken away from his Father and moved into Tree of Life. We struggled with this for the second year. I am not sure I was as patient as I could have been about explaining why he couldn't live at Tree of Life, but I think he got the message.

Richard, also a second year camper is still a sweetheart and so happy each day. He is always so cheery and eager to have fun. He is one of the older boys, but still has a little of that little child attitude in his heart. He wants to be loved and paid attention to. Definitely a people pleaser and peace maker.

Isaac, one of my original campers from 3 years ago, is still the most handsome Zambian I know. He is sweet and kind hearted. He is so quiet and you have to almost force a smile out of him. My parents are his sponsors, he is doing well in school and I know he will be fine.

David was new to me this year by way of a dear friend wanting to sponsor a child, so I added him to my group. He is sweet. He has been our school program for several years, he is very smart. Unfortunately, his original sponsor was not able to continue to fund his sponsorship, luckily, I had a dear friend who wanted to sponsor a child and David was allowed to continue in our program.


Those are my ten camp boys in a quick review. They are all safe, healthy and doing well in school. I explained to each of them that they are holding up their end of the deal and I am I am so proud of them for doing so. I promised to make sure they have sponsorship through their grade school years if they will continue to attend school regularly.



There was one kid, Harrison, that didn't attend camp. He found me on community day, to ask why he wasn't at camp. After some confusion and reaching out to the Community Leader that works with our kids in Chaisa, I figured out Harrison has not been attending school enough to attend camp. Family Legacy started a reward program a few years ago, they made it a treat for the kids to miss a week of school and go to camp. If you have less than 75% attendance, you do not get to attend camp. Harrison unfortunately has not reached that goal. This may have been a tough love lesson for both of us, but I had to explain, that he needed to attend school and that if he would commit to that, he could attend camp next year. Hopefully, he will shape up. I will be checking in with Family Legacy in a few months to see if he is making an effort.



No comments:

Post a Comment