Monday, August 5, 2013

Let's bless these kids... part 2 of 2

Next stop was Haggai's house
Haggai was at camp for the first time this year and the sweet Hogan's are his new sponsors. His father greeted me before we entered the house. He is the only father I have met of any of kids. He seemed kind and loving of Haggai, but also looked much older than the dad of a boy Haggai's age. I didn't get details but there is something wrong with his vision, I am guessing he may be blind in one eye and limited vision in the other, but that is just assumption from a very brief visit with him.

Because this food drop/ sponsorship is a little unique, I spoke with Haggai's father about allowing him into our school program and wanted a commitment from him that he agreed to our program and Haggai would be sponsored going forward. He agreed, and all was well. The blessing started pouring out. Haggai was so happy and excited. His father sat on the couch watching all of the toys and clothes and gifts come out. I showed them the photo of Haggai's new sponsors, and they both smiled wide. Haggai placed the photo on the table and studied the two beautiful faces smiling back at  his, then he held it and giggled while I tried to take a pic of him holding a pic...

Next we shared all of the food blessings with the family, his father was appreciative. Haggai called his younger brother in for a family photo and it was a wrap. The father had a light in the house, it was the first home I had been into that had a light, he was so proud of this, and wanted us to stay behind to show us how it worked. Haggai was immediately back to unpacking all of his gifts and making sure the traveling mob of children we had acquired by this time did not get away with anything.

I am so grateful for the Hogan's support, Haggai is my least educated and most in need of Lifeway Christian Academy. I believe he will really thrive in this program and although he is starting out a little behind, I think he is going to be an exceptional student and I can not wait to see the progress a year makes when I see him again.




Last stop: Issaiac
This may have been my hardest stop. Issaiac stole my heart in the first minute of camp last year. He is beautiful, this sounds silly, but he is beautiful, like I think he should be a model beautiful. He is also very peaceful, something about looking in his eyes is calming to me. And then there is a smile, that isn't given away, but shared like light in a very dark room. His smile is something that warms my heart. SO... I had an instant click with Issaiac, we were fast friends from day one last year.

My parents sponsor this kid, and it amazes me how much they have fallen in love with this precious child. I had blessing galore for Issaiac. My mother had made him a blanket, Dad sent letters and books he found on their Alaskan vacation. I read the book to him, and explained that they had been on a big boat. I showed him his shoes and pillow, clothes and toys. The coolest part of the giving was when I told him they sent crayons, and I asked if he had ever seen so many crayons (it was a large box) and when I opened the box, his eyes got huge and he gasped (along with the dozen other children who thought that was awesome).

I showed him the pictures my Dad sent for him of my brother's kids, our grandparents, my mom, and of coarse the boys being cowboys on horses. Then I read the letter Dad sent, and I can't remember exactly what it said, but as I read it I cried, and Issaiac patted my arm, he is strong, he is a good kid and he is so blessed.

I told his mom about my parents and their sponsorship of Issaiac and how they had sent all of this food for her and the children. She was grateful, although very quiet, she was gracious.

Issaiac , his mom, younger brother and I went outside to take a few snaps and I was done.






No comments:

Post a Comment